Thursday, August 30, 2012

How To: Hide those annoying cords!!

Ok so who has else an issue with cords showing all around your house? Isn't it just the MOST annoying thing ever?? You work SO hard to make your house as perfect as you can, but then you have the unavoidable problem of cords... Whether it's your TV cords, speaker cords, or just a whole bunch of random electronics being pluged into one area... it's just flat out annoying. 






For years I have always used a little trick to make those annoying cords "invisible", and today I am going to share it with y'all! In the past, I used to try and place some sort of furniture or decoration in front of the bundle of cords. Well, that never worked very well because it always ended up looking awkward, out of place, and/or cluttered. Thats when I started using my little {basket trick}. It's SO easy, SO cheap and much less cluttered!


Check out my {How-To}!






Step by Step:

1. First, try to grasp the size of your "cord bundle". Mine was rather large because we were dealing with a VERY dated, VERY large set of speakers. Yes... I think they are seriously from the late 80's... Ok maybe not, but they sure aren't from this decade! Hey - they still work, so thats all that matters! They really bring a whole new meaning to "vintage", huh??

2. Anyhoo! The next step is to go shopping! I went to Ross (OF COURSE) to find my basket. I mean, lets be honest... There really isn't any better place to shop for wicker baskets. I found this one for ONLY $13!!! And it's massive. Great find:) I had to make sure to find one with no handles since I was eventually going to flip it upside down.

3. ** This next step is only if your dealing with cords for speakers or anything that you might need to have easy access to any sort of extention. In my case, we need this cord to plug into our iPhone to hook up to the speakers. So I didn't want it to be hidden underneath the basket.

When you get home with your new basket, flip it upside down and feed the needed cord through your desired area of the basket. Since the basket is wicker (or seagrass maybe?), there are tons are openings to feed your cord through. I chose a back corner so I could just leave the cord hanging out the back. It still remains hidden, but it's also really easy to get to anytime we want to play some tunes!

4. Keep the basket upside down and tuck everything in underneath. Make sure it's all hidden so your basket sits flush against the floor. I chose to top it off with some vintage luggage pieces to give the corner some height. And there ya have it! You're all done:)


This whole project literally cost ONLY $13 and it makes SUCH a difference! It's truely amazing how much better it looks with no more cords:) You can also use this trick other areas in the house as well. Another way you can use the {basket trick} is to NOT flip the basket over and simply place the cords into the basket. Drape a throw over the basket and it hides the cords! 

Hope y'all enjoyed my little tutorial! Have a wonderful long weekend everyone:)




2 comments: