Monday, April 16, 2012

An Antler Makeover

So for a while now I've been intrigued with antler-like objects. I think the rustic elements really are the reason why I'm so attracted to them. About a year ago, my hubby came home from a hunting trip with a nice little surprise on the stove. He was boiling a set of antlers from a deer he had killed that day. I wasn't sure how to feel about it because a.) he was boiling antlers in my kitchen! Gross!!!  b.) he killed bambi!!!  and c.) he was really proud of himself... so should I be proud of him??? ugh regardless - I couldn't do anything about bambi at this point so I had to move on... *tear* I will say this is probably where my creativity had to kick in because guess what - he wanted to mount this thing. I was still seriously grossed out and sad at this point, but I started brainstorming ways to make these antlers "rustic chic." I didn't have pinterest at the time, but below are a few images I recently pulled that were similar to my inspirations at the time:






After looking through rustic inspirations like these, I knew I would be able to easily mix the antler look into our home in a mix-matchy kind of way. This is also where I fell in love with the organic feel that these objects bring to a home. (Preferring faux antlers of course!) After a year or so of moving my hubby's "trophy antlers" around the house - trying to find them their proper home, they ended up in our new office. I'll give y'all a closeup pic once I post the office reveal. That will be coming soon!

Now here is where the REAL makeover comes into play. A few weeks into my antler craze, I had made another one of my frequent trips to Marshalls and found the ugliest/most amazing lamp ever. Prepare yourselves people. It looked like it came right out of a 1980's summer camp cabin or something. It was SO ugly that it was on clearence for $10. I just couldn't pass it up. Here is the before:


That was the shade... I shamefully just left it at the store. I mean hey, maybe someone else would really love it?? Here is the pic of the rest of it:


They were pretty terrible separately, so imagine them together. Scary! After my Marshalls trip, I walked on over to Target to pick up a simple black shade. I think I ended up finding this one for like $7.99 on clearance. (note: the shade isn't shiny, I just hadn't taken off the wrapping yet)



After taping off the parts I didn't want sprayed, it was time to get to work. With just about 2-3 coats of a matte white spray paint and a new shade, here is the after:





 And here is a close up:



So that's my antler makeover! Hope y'all enjoyed:) Some of these pics give you a little sneak peak of our updated entryway. I will be posting about that later in the week, so check back to see!


Happy Monday,


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog. It shared me so much information.

    gout treatment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy! So nice of you to join the magazine copy cat challenge. LOVE your lamp, very cool indeed. Enjoy the party.

    ReplyDelete