Sunday, May 13, 2012

Flowers for Mom:)

Lately since the weather has become warmer, I have gained a much larger interest in my yard and porch. In years past, I really wasn't very into plants, flowers, yard work etc, but since we bought our home last year, I have grown to love it. Well kind of... minus the whole allergy/sneezing thing. Oh, and we live in Texas, so when the weather gets to over 110 degrees... yeah I won't really be loving the yard work. But right now, it's fun to be outside and to attempt to pretty up our yard. 

My is mom actually VERY into yard work and gardening, so that's why I decided for mothers day it would be fun to create a little potted plant to add to her collection. I'm not as good as my mom just yet, but I thought I would give it a try.  I first found my ceramic pot at Ross for only $5.99.  Ross, Marshalls and TjMaxx are the only places I go for ceramic pots. Mainly because they usually have more attractive options for SO much cheaper. For the same size pot at Lowes or Home Depot, they were double the price. Yikes!

I then headed over to Home Depot to gather up some plants. Just for fun, I thought I would look at some pre-made arrangements just to price check. I'm glad I did, because most of them were right around $25 and up. This made me feel better about my DIY arrangement:) I eventually narrowed my choices down to 3 favorites for right around $2.00 each{ish}. I wanted the arrangement to have some depth, so I chose different plants with various textures and heights. My favorite plant is the one that drapes over the side - I believe it's called Coral Reef or something. The texture is great and really added a lot to the entire look. These are all "full sun" plants, so they should have no trouble lasting through the hot summer heat. Here is how it turned out:


So how was everyone's Mothers Day? It was a beautiful weekend down here in Texas, so I'm hoping for a beautiful week as well. Happy Sunday everyone:)



2 comments:

  1. Very nice! I love the pot and the colors! I'm taking the day off tomorrow to plant all my flowers!!!! Yeah!
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your planters are lovely!

    ReplyDelete